Tuesday 31 January 2023

Keeping goals realistic and about you.

 It’s a month into the New year, did you set any goals? Make any New Year’s resolutions?

How are they going one month into 2023?

The new year can be quite overwhelming, perhaps exciting, nerve racking, gets you planning or perhaps it lowers your mood and sends you into a bit of a spiral?

 What it doesn’t mean is that you must become a “new you” or overhaul the person you were in 2022.

It is easy to – especially when a new year rolls around – to get caught up in other people’s goals and ideas. Only today I have heard of 3 separate people saying “I started well, but last week It fell by the wayside”.

Somethings that I often hear

“I need to start exercising, I will run 5km 5 days a week” or “I should start running, I will join a running group and run a race” or “I need to run a road race and prove that I am a runner”.

Sometimes it feels like we set ourselves goals that aren’t about us as individuals, our interests, or passions. It can be challenging to step back from the usual “norms” that can be out there regarding health, fitness, and wellbeing, but like with all things in life, it isn’t one size that fits us all.

Let’s talk about what motivates you. That is something that certainly differs for everyone and not just when it comes to running and training but life too.

We have choices and overall, the choices we make about our hobbies and “fun” ways we spend our downtime should be something that motivates and excites. Afterall our hobbies are what we do to feel good.

I will use a personal example to illustrate the point.

Road running. I try and have done on many occasions to take part in and race on the roads. To a certain extent I use the roads to do some of my weekly run training and I understand the benefits that come from utilising it within training. I did a half marathon last October, the first road half marathon in nearly 8 years. The benefits of it (having not done one for such a long time) I had very little expectation and stress linked to it. As a result, I did enjoy it, and was pleased with my result, BUT I am not sure I am in a rush to do it again, and my body wasn’t a fan of pounding on the tarmac. There wasn’t enough nice scenery for me either! As I said to someone a few days after, it didn’t fill my heart with joy. Even tough mountain races have filled my heart with excitement and awe thanks to the terrain, views and even the challenging weather conditions. It’s a true battle on the senses that makes it so engaging for me.

Before I finish up I want to talk briefly about a simple way you can set goals, this can be applied to running, getting outdoors more or perhaps being more mindful as to the kinds and number of races you do.

 

 


 

SMART goals.

Specific. What do you want to action?

I want to run for some time to myself. I want to enter a local 4 mile fell race.

Measurable. How will you know when you have achieved it?

Taking time out in the day or at least 20 minutes, 3 times a week, to get outside and move. I want to be able to walk up that hill and run down without stopping.

Achievable. Is the goal realistic and how will I accomplish it?

 I will take the time out in my lunch break as I work from home, the dog needs its walk so she can come with me too. I will break the fell race into sections and recce them before the race.

Relevant. Why is this goal important to me?

I love spending time outdoors. I have a local fell race that my club mates and partner will be going to as well.

Timely. What is the deadline on this goal?

I want to do this each week until the Spring comes, and the days get longer and lighter. The fell race is in June, so I have 6 months to prepare and build my confidence.

Give it a go and see what you can achieve. Goals can be as big or small as you like.

 

Setting goals and making plans aren't just for the New Year 😊

No comments:

Post a Comment