Saturday 31 August 2019

A year of running I could never have imagined.....discovering Parkrun and getting a Welsh vest!


Well.....2019 and running has been one I could never have imagined! 
I have run races I have loved, some I have not enjoyed quite so much and achieved results that were never something I thought would actually come to fruition. 
This post isn't going to be a blow by blow account of all the many races and results just some of the highlights and challenges that have ultimately been all part of my journey to the start of Ultra Tour Monte Rosa. As well a "Big up" to those that have been a part of this years running exploits.


"Sunny day fun run" Kingswood. 7th July
Coming off the back of a very pleasing Cross Country season at the end of March, that marked the start of the "big" races and "proper training". Cross country helped me to enjoy running fast and over shorter distances, whilst still being in my preferred off road and muddy environment! 

Training this year has been helped hugely by the support of great friends and heading on adventures in Snowdonia, the Peak District, the Isle of Wight and of course the beautiful trails and hills of home. I have had an absolute blast. 
Special mentions and "Thank yous" to some particular people.
Jon (AKA Gee Bear/#BestieBear)You have been an absolute STAR! Motivating me when I didn't want to run up that hill or I was having a run where I had less coordination than a toddler and of course the mighty "AMERICCINO"! So many smiles, laughs and tumbles haha! :-)



Start of our run up Cadir Idris. 15th May



Up on the Kymin (One of so many visits this year) 21st June

Jon and I on our Pen Y Fan adventure. 8th July


Sugar Loaf Masif!! 1st August


Next Claire. Meeting through a love of running at the Sugar Loaf fell race in April. This summer we have had some awesome adventures on the trails, hills and Mountains of England and Wales! Thanks for being a blinking awesome support to me. Here's to more of the same!
 Claire - Super supporter! On the Snowdon descent after the Twilight race. 28th June
Table Mountain on a windy Sunday afternoon. 1st July

"Matching tshirt kn*bs!" Snowdonia Trail marathon and 10k. 14th July

A mention also must go to Lisa, Ray and Sammi (No photo of Sammi...camera shy lols, and away doing some amazing grown up work!) Thanks for your company on training runs, chats about running, visits to the pub for refuelling and some great laughs!

Grwyne Fawr reservoir loop taking in Waun Fach. 11th May.


Before I finish my "Thanks" I will mention my most brilliant Mum. Always there in the background waving her "Faye Flag". Attending and patiently waiting for me to finish races or to get home from training runs -"Won't be long Mum" getting home 3 hours later! Thank you for your unwavering support. Oooh also - my little Isla Pup. Unconditional love and shared many hours out and about with me.


Now to a brief overview of how things have gone with my running through 2019 (most recent first)

July
Snowdon International race July 2019. First Welsh vest 😁😁15th international lady (19th lady overall) 2nd to score in Welsh team. 01:30:40
Snowdonia Trail Marathon. July 2019. (GB Selection race) 14th lady, 58th overall 04:41:44.

June  

Midnight Mountain Marathon (Half) June 2019. 01:38:33. 1st Overall.
Snowdon Twilight June 2019. 56:52 6th lady (1st Welsh lady) 43rd overall.
Man V’s Horse 2019 - 1st lady 03:05:11 (46th over all including relay teams)
Isle of Wight Needles Half 2019- 1st Lady 01:38:04 (19th overall) Isle of Wight Tapnell 10km 2019 - 1st Lady 42:56 2nd overall

May

Mount Famine fell race - 2nd lady. 54:44. The one with the crazy Berkley Marathons esk start!
Hay Field May Queen Fell race - 2nd lady 25:10. Shortest race I've ever done. Loved it!
 
April
Red Kite trail marathon 2019 - All set to finish 1st lady and queue some navigation issues! Marathon turned into 32 miles in the same time the winning lady ran the 26.2 miles. (All good experience right?)

January 
Winter Trail Wales (Coed Y Brenin) 3rd lady and “Queen of the Sting” 01:49:57
 



1st Lady and 2nd overall at the Tapnell 10km trail race. 1st June


Needles Half. 1st Lady 19th overall. A beauty of a race :-) 2nd June

Snowdon Twilight Race - 28th June. 1st Welsh Woman to the top!
1st overall Midnight Mountain Half Marathon - 29th June

To my utter surprise my running performance at both Man V's Horse and the Inov8 Snowdon Twilight race drew the attention of the Welsh selectors. An email landed in my inbox a few days after running up the Llanberis path asking me to be a part of the Welsh team for the Snowdon International Mountain Race. What the?! The words "Are you any good at running down hill?" made me quiver but also grow a pair and get over my fear of descending!

Que a return trip up North to Llanberis and the race of my life! 
Nerves, excitement and honour like never before. A race experience that I absolutely loved and could not have been happier with my first Welsh performance. If I am lucky enough to be selected again I might give a mountain marathon the weekend before a miss! I found new found confidence and drive that had not truly surfaced until this race.

Women's Welsh Snowdon International Team 2019

 
"Worst bit, but short bit!" Almost there! Snowdon International 20th July

 I now move onto one of the revelations of 2019. My discovery and now slight obsession with Parkrun! By no means was I "Anti Parkrun", it just didn't really appeal. Short distance, usually a lapped course and on a Saturday morning. (For years Saturdays have always been a working or race day only)
Thank you Claire for persuading me along to Glossop Parkrun back in May. You have unleashed a monster! 10 down and and loving a Saturday morning on either my local Forest of Dean course or doing a bit of Parkrun Tourism. We are incredibly lucky in these parts to have so many great courses fairly close by.
I have to say 5km is really growing on me - Shhhh! Don't tell anyone though! 




Embracing the Parkrun love! 1st June


Medina IoW Parkrun. 24th August


I am just over the moon as to how this years running has unfolded. I can honestly say I have loved it and learnt alot! Testing myself across different distances, varying terrains and more pleasing going out and doing races that I would usually have shied away from. "No that's too short....I'll be sh*t!" Turns out its better not to worry about that and just run and have fun. It is my hobby and the way I love spending my spare time so I should be enjoying myself right?



 
 Cadir adventure. What a beauty! 15th May

So over the moon with my win at Man V's Horse. 8th June


 I think that's enough of my ramblings! Time to get ready for the race I have spent the whole year prepping for.... when I signed up in January it seemed such a long way off! haha! Lets go finish packing :-)
 
 See you on the mountain!!




 







 










No comments:

Post a Comment