Thursday 21 April 2022

UTMR adventure - Mahusive climbs and snow storms! #goatdragon Welsh vest #2

Was talking to Mum the other day say how quickly September has flown by.......then remembered I have been away for probably a good 20 days of it running around on various mountains and trails. Certainly cannot complain at that.

Ultra Tour Monte Rosa was "The race" of 2019, my big adventure, my pushing out of my comfort zone.
My comfort was pushed from the off when my flight was cancelled and I ended up making my way to Geneva via Lyon and Grenoble. After two days of airports, planes, trains and buses I was in Switzerland!


The most expensive bowl of pasta and lemonade later, my race vest was packed and I was as ready for this thing as I was ever going to be. Sleep!





Those that saw my Facebook posts, apologies for repeating myself....! Feel free to skip.
UTMR stage race. Day 1. Grรคchen to Zermatt.
A very early start of 4am and shovelling of some bread with jam and a slice of cheese for luck (so Swiss!) As 6am approached we all stood at the start head torches on, waiting for the countdown. Off we went into the dark of the Swiss mountains.
With some serious nerves I was so pleased to just get running
Beautiful undulating forest paths marked the start of the day leads us to the big climb of the day which began at about 9km.
A climb it was! Not only a test of the calf's but also that hit of the altitude (can't replicate that in Wales can we?! Ha) With just a little more breathlessness that I was used to i just kept things steady. This was not to be rushed! The conversation of a fellow runner made for the last part of the climb go by quickly and before we knew it were at the highest point.
Today also Incorporated some FANTASTIC swing bridge crossings! Just amazing (see some of my pics)
Anyway, I got very excited by this and views and adrenaline was high...but with that o was using more oxygen and subsequently went to run and was quite knackered ๐Ÿ˜‚
There were a few more "ooh this is feeling hard" and "oh my goodness this is bloody amazing" and we were into the final 10km… I could smell the finish!
I caught up with a few people from earlier who had had their little "2nd wind" and I found myself over taking people again, it felt good! Mindful that tomorrow is another day of running (I'm fact 3 more!) I took the descent in Zermatt with caution ( not that I ever need encouraging to take a descend steady ha!) Anyway, I overtook a few other ladies on the way down and thoroughly enjoyed the absolute quiet of coming down through the forest. It was just so peaceful and calm
Hitting the streets of Zermatt a chalked message read "500m to go" ! I've done it! Day 1 complete 24 miles/39km in 6 hours 52 minutes. 6th lady to cross the line - 3rd from the UK.

I was absolutely ecstatic after that first day, yes tired, but feeling capable and not too tired. Yay!
A relaxing evening and a Matterhorn sized portion of spag boul I was feeling good.



UTMR stage race. Day 2. Zermatt to Gressoney-la-Trinite
Word of the day on UTMR - HARD!
It was a flippin' tough feeling day out there on that second day!
I certainly felt the 24 miles from yesterday on that first 1km out of Zermatt. Knowing the first part of the day was bringing a 12km climb I knew it was going to be testing ...oh my that climb just kept on giving! (And taking of all my good mood )
Thankfully again the good conversation of a few fellow runners made the second half of the climb go quicker! Talk of the Dragons Back race made UTMR sound like a breeze
Upon reaching the first aid station at 10km the view made all that hard work worth it. Today was the day of crossing the glacier and what a beauty Microspikes on I got a peak in energy having a run on the snow and ice with another runner and eventually reached the highest point on the course - Welcome to Italy!








 The next section - honest - struggled to get motivated. Felt sluggish after the long descent and even the delish apricot pastry tart at the aid station wasn't giving me energy. Plus my quads didn't approve of that descending!

Anyway …. This feeling went on for a bit, won't bore you with that!
The descent did continue and got incredibly pretty as we headed down to meet the river and met some grazing cows and donkeys *see photos.






The last 9 (ish miles) were something of two halves. The climb (not just a little rise on the elevation graph as thought) another meaty 5 miles up and over the last pass with some big rock hoping and scrambling (decided today when I'm tired and a bit deflated I like having to concentrate on something a bit more technical!) Second part, the beautiful descent down to Gressoney via narrow rocky tracks, through woodland and along the river to that finish in the square. I thoroughly enjoyed that after such a tough feeling day. I really wanted to come in under 8 hours today but just slipped over by a minute, but hey close enough for me on this occasion.
Today I lost a little of that competitive edge, but what I did do was keep my head, didn't push too hard (so I couldn't redeem it) chatted to some lovely people and got some great piccys
I was incredibly pleased to find out I still made the 10 coming in 9th lady even though I'd thought the bottom had fallen out of the day.



Sadly that evening we found out that day 3 has been cancelled due to the arrival of some really heavy snow on the tops and more forecast for the preceding 24/48 hours. 

Yes disappointed, but safety first and it was most definitely the best decision for all.

These two days had tested me and that second day wiped me out! I would have loved to have seen how I progressed over those following two days to see if I could overcome the fatigue....? I was so pleased with finishing top 10 on both days but I certainly felt that was so much more preparation that could go on prior to the next time I attempt a race like this.

A day off on the Friday was a soggy and cold one, but got in a nice walk, some good food and coffee and just some rest. Cannot complain!



Saturday bought a bonus shorter race to those that wanted it. Of course I did! It was also a bit more back in the comfort zone at 22km - winner!


Saturday was not the stage 4 as planned but what we did get was a fantastic 22km technical and fun race out of Macugnaga taking in absolutely stunning views of the Monte Rosa. Taking us up to over 2000 metres the weather allowed the most stunning of views on what was a much fresher feeling start to the day.




Heading out of the village up and out towards the glaciers we got to run forest tracks, climb steep rock steps, cross waterfalls, run rocky glaciers and some fantastic flowing forest single track.
It may not have been the 4 stage race as planned or expected but this was a brilliant way to end the week. The whole UTMR team and local mountain guides laid on this race last minute for us and did a fantastic job. Some big smiles crossing the line this morning ๐Ÿ˜


Running 22km after the two days of 40km plus was a refreshing feel and it was nice to feel I could go out a little quicker and push myself over a distance far more in the comfort zone but in a stunning location ๐Ÿ”️๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น๐ŸŒฒ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ˜Today I was really happy to finish 5th lady in the race (even got a post race interview ๐Ÿ˜†) and then over the 2 days of the stage race I finished 5th lady over all and 4th in my age catgory. I am incredibly pleased with that ๐Ÿ˜so next year the I think I'll have to come back to see what I can do over the full 4 days ๐Ÿ˜





On returning from Switzerland I could not believe it that I received another call up to wear the Welsh vest!
This time at the Home Nations race in Snowdonia National Park up and over the beautiful Moel Eilio.




The same dream team of Elliw, Gemma and Katie toed the start line at the bottom of a very steep track for this 8 mile race! It was late September and in true British form it was absolutely boiling....and this race route offered no shade what so ever.




I remember thinking that the views were fantastic and that a couple of English and Scottish Women had the walking pace of a very decent parkrun! Anyway I kept myself in check and made sure I was pushing as hard as I could knowing that I needed to keep strength in the legs for the long descent.

As with many of my races descending is my weakness and something that I am learning to embrace with a little more "Just go for it!"
As I hit the reasonably flat gravel path that traverses around the mountain I could feel some stability and speed coming back into my legs as well as dreaming of a massive glass or water and a even a beer!





The same lane we started on saw a steep and harsh descent, but one that allowed me to overtake another lady plus a couple of men, to see me cross the line in 1 hour 11 minutes. Boiling hot and in need of a dog bowl full of water, but so happy! ๐Ÿ˜



The ladies team finished in 3rd on the day - fantastic!

I feel so incredibly luck to have had this opportunity with the company of some lovely and super talented team mates and friends.

Here's to next year and working towards future mountain running opportunities๐Ÿ˜€



No comments:

Post a Comment